The Wizard of Oz is a timeless story that has captivated audiences for many years. This is especially true now that it is being retold in many mediums such as animated and live-action films and on Broadway. This morality tale’s widespread appeal can be attributed largely to the fact that it features a diverse cast of characters, including The Wizard, the Good and Bad Witches, the Tin Man, and many others. It is not hard to see why this story has endured for so long. Similarly, a narrative with such a large cast of characters is ideal for hosting themed parties and, of course, for selecting a costume from which to dress up on Halloween night.
Although The Wizard of Oz and its characters are exaggerated in many ways, recreating their world doesn’t have to cost an arm and a leg at a store or on the internet to have the same impact. This essay is proof of that, as it demonstrates how to put together your costume so that you can joyfully enjoy Halloween dressed up as Glinda or the Tin Man without the need for any Wizard magic. Continue surfing to take advantage of this Wizard of Oz costume.
View this post on Instagram
Dressing as Dorothy Gale from The Wizard of Oz
- Judy Garland gave life to the character of Dorothy Gale, the main character in L. Frank Baum’s classic novel “The Wizard of Oz,” when portrayed the character on the silver screen in 1939. The Wizard of Oz and Dorothy both become iconic figures in popular culture after being nominated for six Academy Awards.
- The costume that Dorothy Gale wears is both enjoyable and simple to put together, which makes it an excellent option for cosplayers of all experience levels. The blue and white checkered dress that Dorothy wore, in addition to your very own pair of ruby slippers, is available for buy online. You’ll be prepared to travel down the Yellow Brick Road as soon as you toss a basket and a stuffed Toto into your travel bag.
- First things first, you’ll need to track down the iconic gingham dress that Dorothy’s movie character wore. Make it a point to track down a dress with a gingham pattern in blue and white. Instead of using large color squares, the most effective pattern makes use of smaller ones. There is a wide variety of Dorothy costumes available for purchase from a variety of costume stores. These costumes range from accurate recreations of the film costume to contemporary reimagining of the character featuring shorter hemlines and lower necklines.
- Buying a dress is the ideal alternative for those who cannot create their garments or who do not wish to devote the necessary amount of time to doing so. If you’re trying to recreate the clothing that was worn in the movie, the length of the skirt is an important detail to pay attention to. Make sure that your skirt falls to the same position as Dorothy’s, which is just below her knees; she wears her skirt to the same length.
- Under the dress, you should wear a white blouse. Puffed sleeves were featured on Dorothy’s blouse, which had a high neckline and lacked buttons. If you are unable to locate an identical match, any blouse with short sleeves will do.
- There are a lot of prominent stores that sell flats or heels that are covered in crimson glitter. If you want your ruby slippers to be authentic and look like the ones Dorothy wore, you should look for a red sequined ribbon that you can attach to the top of the shoe.
- If you want to go the do-it-yourself approach, all you need is a pair of shoes with a wide heel and a heel height of about 5 centimeters (2 inches). First, thoroughly clean the shoes, and then, working in small portions, start applying fabric glue to the shoes. The area that is covered in glue should then have a generous amount of red glitter applied to it. Before applying glitter to additional portions or filling in holes, you will need to wait until the glue has completely dried. If you touch the glitter before the adhesive has completely dried, you may end up with bald areas. Maintain the application of the red glitter up until the shoes are entirely covered in adhesive.
- There is a little bit more to the Dorothy style than merely splitting your hair and braiding it as she does, but her two braids are an essential component of the appearance. Create a part down the middle of the head, extending from the forehead to the neck. Beginning with the strands that are closest to the part on one side of the head, begin twisting the hair back towards the part. As you move down the hairline, add more strands of hair to the twist so that it is as tight as possible. Make sure that the twist stays as tight as possible. Make ringlets out of the ends of your hair by curling them with a curling iron. Create two or three ringlets by separating the hair into sections.
- At the point where the braiding stops and the curling begins, you need to tie the ribbon around the elastic to complete the look. Bows should be tied using the ribbon in this instance. Cut off the excess length at the ends of the bows if they are too long. The ends should not extend more than a hair’s breadth beyond the bows. Be sure that the bow is a pale blue color, almost identical to the shade of blue that is seen in the dress and the stockings.
- Don’t forget to include Toto if you’re going as Dorothy this Halloween. Purchase or make use of a stuffed toy dog if you do not have access to a genuine dog or one that is willing to cooperate. Toto, the Cairn Terrier, had a coat of dark brown. There are a lot of different stores that sell
stuffed dogs that you may utilize to finish out your costume.
View this post on Instagram
Dressing Up as the Tin Man from The Wizard of Oz
- The iconic character known as the Tin Man is cherished by many people because of his silvery appearance. You may easily impress your friends and be transported to the wonderful country of Oz by making a Tin Man costume out of some basic materials and a little bit of ingenuity on your own.
- You’ll need a metallic silver shirt as the foundation of your Tin Man costume, so make sure to include one in the ensemble you put up for yourself. This shirt will form the basis of your costume and will contribute to giving your cosplay a polished and metallic appearance.
- Include a pair of silver slacks with a metallic sheen as part of your attire if you want to round off the foundation of your Tin Man costume and give it a polished and put-together appearance at the same time. These pants will assist in giving your cosplay a sleek and metallic appearance, and they will go wonderfully with the metallic silver blouse that you have chosen.
- Include a pair of silver metallic shoes as part of your wardrobe to complete the look of your Tin Man costume and give it a refined appearance. Doing so will contribute to giving your costume a glossy and metallic appearance, and they will go perfectly with the metallic silver shirt and pants that you have chosen to wear.
- If you want your Tin Man costume to have more depth and dimension, you may make the character’s hefty torso out of EVA foam. This will also give your outfit more mass. EVA foam is a material that is easy to work with and can be sculpted and molded into a wide range of forms. It is a substance that is soft and spongy. To make structures that are both robust and lightweight, it is frequently utilized in the construction of costumes and props.
- After you have used EVA foam to build the basic shape and structure of the Tin Man’s torso, the next step is to paint it with metallic silver paint to give it a look that is both realistic and consistent with the rest of the costume. Your costume will appear more polished and authentic if you do this, and it will assist to bring your character to life.
- If you want to take your Tin Man costume to another level of authenticity and create a look that is genuinely authentic and immersive, you may want to think about painting your entire face metallic silver. This will allow you to create a look that is authentic and immersive. At the next event that requires fancy dress or a Halloween party, this can be a fun and eye-catching method to bring the character to life and stand out from the crowd.
- A silver funnel hat is an essential component of any Tin Man costume, and you should make sure to include one in your own. This will help your costume appear more realistic and genuine. This iconic component is an important aspect of the Tin Man’s appearance and can help your fancy dress suit come together in a way that is both entertaining and distinctive.
- Include a clock in the shape of a heart as one of your costume’s accessories if you want to bring the persona of the Tin Man to life and give your outfit the finishing touch it needs. This iconic component is an important aspect of the Tin Man’s appearance and can help your fancy dress suit come together in a way that is both entertaining and distinctive.
- There is no need for concern if you want to make a Tin Man costume but don’t want to go through the procedure of creating one yourself from scratch if you don’t want to. You can buy any one of the many pre-made Tin Man costume kits that are on the market today and put it on straight away.
View this post on Instagram
Dressing Up as Glinda the Good Witch from The Wizard of Oz
- Glinda Fans of the timeless movie The Wizard of Oz often choose to dress up as Glinda the Good Witch for their Halloween costumes. Glinda is one of the characters in the film that assists the protagonists throughout the course of the story. She does not share the same bad reputation that her sister has. She has earned a great deal of respect due to her reputation as the Good Witch of the South. Glinda The Good Witch is unassuming and unruffled in her demeanor. Because of her warm and kind demeanor, she is simple to get along with and trustworthy.
- Glinda wears a beautiful pink princess dress, which draws the most attention to her ensemble. The dress is a baby pink ball gown that is full-length and features a puffy skirt as well as sleeves that are also puffy. Because it is so daring and captivating, you should use it as the centerpiece of the rest of your ensemble and build everything else around it.
- Glinda has red, curly hair; thus you will need a wig with curly hair. Put a crown on top of the wig just like she does when she wears it and act out the scene. To complete the appearance, you should also make sure to bring a wand along with you, as well as a pair of pink high heels.
- The way that Glinda dresses appears to convey something about her character. This is a result of the shimmering quality of her garment as well as the pastel colors that it features. When you dress up in her outfit, everyone who has watched the movie will immediately be able to identify you.
View this post on Instagram
How to Dress like Elphaba from “Wizard of Oz” for Halloween
- You may recall from The Wizard of Oz that Elphaba did not always dress as the witch for all of her scenes. On occasion, she will dress in clothes that are considered to be more every day. Elphaba Thropp certainly draws attention wherever she goes thanks to the distinctive shade of green that she possesses. If the individuals you meet have never seen or heard of Wicked, they may have a hard time recognizing your costume persona as being from the musical.
- You might be aware of the timeless film, The Wizard of Oz, and have the preconceived notion that the story is told from Dorothy Gale’s point of view. And even though she does play an essential part, the primary point of view comes from Elphaba, who is an outcast in society. The entirety of the book, which is titled Wicked: The Existence and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West, is centered on Elphaba’s existence and the events that take place throughout it, including how she plunged into wickedness and altered Oz in a way that cannot be reversed. Throughout the course of the book, she is considered to be the protagonist; but, as the story progresses, her role shifts to that of an antagonist who is fighting back against Oz’s oppression.
- When it comes to her sense of style, Elphaba is so far behind the times that a black Victorian dress is an ideal method to demonstrate this. You can give your getup a more whimsical appearance by wearing a pair of black shoes or boots. Since Elphaba’s skin is green all over, you should paint your entire face and body that color. To ensure that your Elphaba costume is as realistic as possible, you should make your own witch’s broom.
View this post on Instagram
Facts About the Wizard of Oz Costumes You Might Not Know
- The costume used by the Cowardly Lion was made of real lion fur. The majority of people, upon taking a look at the outfit worn by the Cowardly Lion in The Wizard of Oz, would not consider it to be especially realistic or believable. On the other hand, the movie’s costume designers were much more dedicated to realism than anyone may have expected them to be. There were real lion pelts used in the construction of the costume that was worn by the Cowardly Lion. The costume was created up of a mixture of materials, including fur from other animals.
- The weight of the lion costume was ninety pounds. The costume that was worn by the Cowardly Lion was astonishingly hefty because it was partially constructed out of real lion fur and skins. Roughly eighty-five pounds was the total weight of the lion outfit. Because of the costume’s weight, the natural heat and insulation provided by the lion fur, the level of physical activity that was required for the job, and the high heat that was present on set daily, actor Bert Lahr found that playing the role of the lion was nearly intolerable. After a long day of filming, the actor wearing the Cowardly Lion costume would frequently leave the set with the outfit drenched in sweat.
- The costume of the cowardly lion is estimated to be worth more than three million dollars. When one of the Cowardly Lion costumes was put up for auction in November of 2014, a film memorabilia collector purchased the costume for a staggering sum of $3,100,000. This is in stark contrast to the fact that something like the ruby slippers is probably worth next to nothing at this point.
- One of the most recognizable outfits in the film, Dorothy’s blue and white gingham dress is not quite what it seems. The dress was blue and pink in real life, even though it seems to be white and blue on the screen. Because coloring techniques at the time were far from ideal, it was far simpler for the artists to get the results they desired in the final product by beginning with a blue and pink dress rather than a blue and white dress.
- The ruby slippers did not always have a ruby color. Almost every person on the face of the earth has either watched The Wizard of Oz or, at the least, can recognize and understand important aspects of the story. The legendary ruby slippers are without a doubt the most identifiable piece in the movie, even though so many other aspects of the film are already common knowledge. On the other hand, those who have read the book by Frank L. Baum are aware that the ruby slippers were first crafted out of silver. When the production company was filming the movie, they were aware that they were going to be shooting it in color, and they reasoned that it would have a much more arresting visual impact if the slippers were red instead of silver.
- The ruby shoes that Dorothy wears in The Wizard of Oz are without a doubt the most famous prop in the entire history of cinema, and they play an essential part in the narrative of the film. So it shouldn’t come as much of a surprise that it took the production company a considerable amount of time to settle on the specific model of house slipper that they wanted to utilize. There were a lot of different styles that were thought about, and some of them even got to the point where prop masters and costume designers produced models of them for the studio to look at, but in the end, the low pumps with bows were the ones that were chosen as the winning style.
View this post on Instagram
This article will help you find the perfect outfit that won’t break the bank and looks awesome no matter who is rocking it come Halloween. Whether you want to do a solo costume and be Dorothy or Glinda in all their glory, or you want to coordinate a group costume to look like the entire yellow brick road gang, this article will help you find the perfect outfit. If you read it, you’ll find that you can be Dorothy or Glinda in all their glory.